[Pre-180, My SJI Days] Joining Xin Yao Singing Competition, 新谣比赛@ Jurong Junior College

The Xin Yao Singing Competition 2015 is a competition (organised by Jurong Junior College) where students compete by singing the XinYao (Singapore's 1980s Songs). It was one of the most fulfilling things I had done during my SJI days.

 


Although I didn't sing much Xin Yao in the past, I've always heard about them every now and then. Hence, I was thrilled when I got the opportunity to participate in this Xin Yao Singing Competition, for SJI, as a solo singer. Together with my fellow solo singer Germaine from TG01, we set out to win the competition!

However, there were many preparations before the actual competition. Both Germanine and I had to practice singing the songs (not forgetting the lyrics too) during our hour-long lunch breaks. It was also a difficult task to memorise the lyrics as the lyrics were considered 'old' and unconventional compared to the 2000s music. In addition, we also had to meet up with our teacher-in-charge, Ms Annie Wong, to discuss about the songs we were going to sing during the competition. I faced a great challenge of finding the right instrumental to accompany my singing as well.

After 1-2 months long preparation, we finally found ourselves in the competition venue for out preliminary rounds. I opted the song Xi Shui Chang Liu (细水长流), which is a Xin Yao popular amongst many, while Germaine opted for local actor-cum-singer Chen Han Wei's(陈汉玮)Guan Huai Fang Shi (关怀方式). Both of us sang to the best of our abilities.


Although I was slightly disappointed that I did not make it to the next round of competition, I was glad that I get to experience the journey of preparing for a singing competition.



Overall, an awesome singing experience, and Germaine and I even had a nice meal to wrap up the entire competition! :)

(Ps: Do listen to my singing attached. I personally feel that I could've gotten into the next round. :) )


Comments