[Pre-180, Be a Culture Lover]SGKPre-fest 2015--Being appointed as a Korea-Singapore (KS) Supporter!



The greatest highlight during my days in SJI Korea Club was being appointed by the South Korean Embassy  (in Singapore) as one of the 50 Korea-Singapore (KS) Supporters to promote Korean Culture within Singapore from year 2015-2016! :D I literally jumped when I found out that I was selected! :D Well, since this is such a highlight of my SJI Korea Club days, I guess I should share the reflection I wrote for my CAS when I first received my K-S Supporter Appointment Certificate! Here it is! Its written on Saturday, 19 September 2015.
Me receiving my K-S Supporter certificate from Ambassador of the Republic of Korea, His Excellency Suh Chung-ha. (Credits to Embassy of the Republic of Korea)
"SJI Korea Club Highlight Activity: Appointment as 2nd Batch K-S Supporters by the Embassy of Republic of Korea in Singapore at SGKPrefest

As I was browsing through my Facebook account, I realised that the Embassy of Republic of Korea in Singapore was recruiting their 2nd batch of K-S Supporters! (*K-S is an abbreviation for Korea Singapore) The role of the K-S Supporters is to promote friendship between Korea and Singapore. Being part of our Korean Cultural Club and one of the spreaders for the K-Culture, I was more than delighted to hand in a written application. And to my excitement, I was chosen as one of the 54 K-S Supporters amongst countless number of applications. (There were a lot of applications this year such that the Embassy increased the number of K-S Supporters from 50 to 54. I was one of the first 25 K-S Supporters).

I was informed to attend my inaugural ceremony on 15 September which I gladly went to. The event starts with a Kpop dance performance, followed by a congratulatory speech by Ambassador of the Republic of Korea, His Excellency Suh Chung-ha.
SGK Pre-fest. (Credits to Embassy of the Republic of Korea)
Congratulatory speech by Ambassador of the Republic of Korea, His Excellency Suh Chung-ha. (Credits to Embassy of the Republic of Korea)
Kpop dance performance. (Credits to Embassy of the Republic of Korea)
                         
His Excellency presented our K-S Supporter Appointment Certificate to all of us K-S Supporters. This was when I had a short exchange with him in Korean, saying that "I will work hard in the future."
Me receiving my K-S Supporter certificate from Ambassador of the Republic of Korea, His Excellency Suh Chung-ha. (Credits to Embassy of the Republic of Korea)
My Appointment Certificate! :D
Following that, we have FerlynG, former member of Singapore-Kpop girl group SKarf, performing to us two Korean songs.

Performance by FerlynG. (Credits to Embassy of the Republic of Korea)

The ceremony ended, and was preceded by SGKPrefest or what we call the 2015 Korean Festival Preview. At the preview, I got to participate in a SGK Quiz, which tested by knowledge on all the things about Korea! I was really relieved to survive up till third quarters into the quiz, before being eventually eliminated by a True/False question "The Korean Language and Chinese Language belongs to the same language family." To my very surprise, my answer "True" turned out to be wrong. This was the greatest takeaway of the prefest--Getting to know more about the Korean language culture.
SGK Quiz on Korea. (Credits to Embassy of the Republic of Korea)

SGK Quiz on Korea. (Credits to Embassy of the Republic of Korea)
With the quiz now completed, I visited a variety of booths such as the Hanbok booth, the Korean food booth, the Kpop merchandise booth, Korean Air Exhibition booth, and the Korean Language Class' (KLC) booth. Through visiting the booths, I got to speak to many native Korean speakers using the Korean that I've learnt through watching Korean Dramas. I was elated when they complimented me for using the spoken language well. I even got to have a very long conversation with Ms Lee So Yeon, who is both the teacher and manager at KLC.

Hanbok Booth! :D (Credits to Embassy of the Republic of Korea)
Taekwondo Performance! (Credits to Embassy of the Republic of Korea)
In addition to getting to speak the language, I also won a pair of Korean Movie Tickets (for use during Korean Film Festival Singapore), which I gave to our next batch of KCC juniors. To add on, I also got to win a traditional pencil case through playing a traditional Korean game that is similar to the Chapteh.
KLC booth.

Korea Film Festival Booth! :D
I left the Prefest later with lots of good memories, free goodies, but of course an understanding that Korean Language and Chinese Language do not belong to the same language family! :) My Korea Club journey might have ended (as I have graduated from the club), but my journey towards learning and promoting K-Culture (aka my K-S Supporter journey) have just begun!"
 
Goodie bags for K-S Supporters! :D (Credits to Embassy of the Republic of Korea)

Goodie bags for K-S Supporters! :D (Credits to Embassy of the Republic of Korea)

Comments